Cold Grilled Bison Filet Mignon with Flatbread, Hummus and Tzatziki
This is a great meal to make all the components ahead of time and then assemble at the last moment to enjoy. If making the flatbread from scratch is a bit much for you, don’t worry. Just buy premade pita bread or use your favorite flour tortillas.
- Prep Time:
- 4 Hours
- Cook Time:
- 3 Hours
- 1 (6oz.) plain yogurt, drained
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, grated, and drained
- 1 vine ripened tomato, diced and drained
- ⅓ cup fresh dill, minced
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- 4 (6oz.) Bison filet mignon
- Black olives
- Garlic hummus, or your favorite flavor
- Honey Wheat Berry bread mix, or you can use prepared pita bread
To Make Tzatziki Sauce:
- Put yogurt into a coffee filter, and set into a colander over a bowl to catch drippings from the yogurt. You want the water to “drip” out, and for the yogurt to become thicker and tangier.
- Grate cucumber into a paper towel, and place in the same colander next to the yogurt. Do the same for the diced tomatoes. You will have 3 ingredients lined within the same colander to allow excess moisture to drip out, approximately 3 hours.
- After draining, combine yogurt, cucumbers, tomatoes, and dill. Mix to combine, and chill.
- For best results, use immediately, but it can be made one day ahead, and chilled, but it will be a little watery.
To Prepare Steaks:
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, salt, garlic, and cracked black pepper. Toss with steaks, and coat well. Allow to marinate 4 hours in the refrigerator. If you are in a crunch for time, go ahead and cook right away. The flavor will be good, but not as well developed if you have the time to marinate.
- Preheat your grill.
- Grill 3 minutes on the first side, and 4 minutes on the second, for a steak that is medium and yields a ruby red warm interior. Do not overcook, as the steaks will become tough, and not as juicy and flavorful. Remove from the grill, and allow to rest, or refrigerate for later use.
- Set both burners to medium, and heat the cast iron grill pan for 15-20 minutes. Or, you can also use your oven to preheat the grill pan at 400F for 20 minutes. Be careful when transferring the hot grill pan to the stove top to start the cooking process. It is very important that the cooking surface be very hot to help with the development of the flavor crust.
- The steaks can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days after cooking before using.
To Make Flatbread:
- Follow the directions on the bread mix, and allow the dough to rise before shaping. Dough can be made 1 day ahead, and kept covered in the refrigerator. Allow to come to room temperature before shaping and cooking the following day.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal balls. Dust with flour liberally, and punch down. Roll with rolling pin into 8-inch circles.
- Drizzle about ½ oz. of oil and rub to cover one side. Only one side will be oiled; the other will remain dry for grilling.
- Preheat grill pan on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Place flatbread oiled side down first. The bread will rise up a little as it cooks. Lower temperature to medium low if the bread is cooking too fast.
- Flip several times to cook through; 8-10 minutes total cooking time per piece.
- To serve, top flat bread with hummus, Tzatziki sauce, and grilled bison. Garnish with sliced black olives and fresh dill.